Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Machine excitement with a twist


This last Monday I happened to scan thru Craigslist for sewing machines.
I try to do that monthly, just to see if there are any great machines at a good price.
This time I found an older Singer machine. Listed merely as a vintage machine for $50.
I called the number and it hadn't been sold so we made arrangements to meet. I didn't
have my reading glasses on and we were inside a garage so I really couldn't see just what
the machine was. It looked very similar to a Featherweight. I had him plug it in and run it
for me. The light switch had an issue and he said he had no thread to actually show me
that it could stitch but on faith I bought it. For $45.00 of course, have to save a buck or
two.

Once I got it home I could easily see that it is a 99K, has a cute little case as well.
Now, I've wanted a 99K but when I put in a wanted ad no one had one. Now I do.
First thing I did was clean it well. Didn't really want to take things apart too far.
Parts of it had obviously been cleaned and it has a new belt. I get it all back together,
thread it and away I go. Clunk, clunk, clunk...jam. Oh great. Now I'm thinking this
guy knew all along it didn't work with thread. I decide now to clean a little deeper and
figure out where it's jammed and why. I find a thread or two but its still jammed. I flip her
over which is difficult because it's attached to the bottom of the case, and oil and grease
all the under areas. I keep playing with it and finally the jam is gone.
I try it again and clunk, clunk..but I stop before the jam. It came with a bobbin loaded with
some super heavy duty thread so I pull all of it off. I don't have another class 66 bobbin in the house to fill. I fill it and put on some white thread and try again. Clunk..I stop.
Now I notice the needle in the thing is HUGE so I replace it with a normal size thing and try
again. She sews beautifully!! I am so excited. Eventually I'll ask my husband to replace the
light fixture but until then I'll use a clamp on light. Here is a picture of it.

Yesterday I went to work and after waking up with a headache it only got worse. I was
feeling really lousy by 10am and came home. I am just now feeling better. Don't know what it was but no fun feeling that bad especially since my brand new Bailey Home Quilter 15" arrived later in the afternoon. I never even played with it. Can you imagine? I'm going to go in
and give her a whirl in a minute. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment