Friday, June 25, 2010

Another new/old machine

I found another antique Singer on Craigslist and luckily got it first. It needs some work but I'm up for it.
I really wish it could talk to share it's story with me. It was made in 1924 in Clydebank, Scotland. It is a model 15k.  It was a treadle/hand operated machine which someone converted to electric while still in Europe as it is 220 volt.
It really intrigues me, just how did it get from Europe to Tucson, Az. some 86 years later? It's mechanical parts are fantastic, almost new in appearance. Very well maintained that way. The body is a little rough, it's been bounced around some. There is no base for it so now I'll be on the look out for that. I hope to find one of the small square ones. I think they are a model 23. Here is a picture. As I said, a little rough but for 86 she looks pretty good to me. It was so much fun cleaning it up. Can't wait to find a base. I know nothing of treadles so this is going to be a big learning experience for me. Wish me luck.

I am working on another Chemo quilt. Not sure why I'm being lead in that direction but it's okay with me. I believe this is my 4th or 5th. If they bring some comfort to the user that is great. So far I have known all the recipients. This one is suppose to be terminal but I told her in all honesty we are all terminal. Right? Having a slight time line gives the opportunity to get things in order. Appreciate what you have and love everyone more.
I'm sending her pictures as it progresses and she is pleased with it. If I work especially hard I could finish it tomorrow. Guess that means I'll have to get the one on the frame finished...

2 comments:

  1. Debbe, Have you gathered all your machines for a group photo yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now Lori that is a great idea. They are all in my quilting room anyway so I'll just need to move them closer to one another and snap the picture.

    ReplyDelete